Sunday, March 9, 2008

It's all in a name...

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. This is one of those "This could preach" moments. An object lesson, if you will. I've been thinking about the "preach" factor.

And it all started with a pair of shoes.

I stumbled across my tie-dyed Airwalks at Payless. (The Crocs knockoffs) They were me. I really enjoy them for what they were made for -- to wear when I don't want to tie my shoes. Or when I need to scurry out of the house. My mother-in-law has informed me that the Airwalks are nothing compared to the actual Crocs. I'm sure others feel the same way - but mine are tie-dyed! (I certainly didn't buy them because they were pretty. I bought them because they were quirky!)

I've had a few curious comments about them. Several people who have seen my shoes think they are wild. I have to admit, I would call them clown shoes. Anyone who owns a pair of these things has to admit that they are shaped a lot like clown shoes. So that's what I called them. I would ask the kids if they had seen my clown shoes and they knew exactly what I was searching for.

Of course, they had probably seen them last. Did you know that these kind of shoes make great rocket ships for action figures? They also make great boats for different action figures.

It's no wonder I can only find one most of the time. The other one has set sail.

One day, while shoe-shopping with the kids, Mini-Me found something called Jibbitz. Her shoes are hot pink and she found a flower that looked great with her shoes. I found a Gonzo Jibbitz.

I didn't buy it right away. I thought about it - and decided that it really would look good on one of my tie-dye shoes. I've always liked Gonzo. He was the one that I always felt I was most like. (Either him or Fozzie Bear) I even took a blog-things quiz to see which muppet I was most like - and came up with Gonzo. I was highly amused.

On our next trip to the shoe store (we were actually buying webkinz) I bought the Gonzo Jibbitz and put it on my shoe.
Suddenly, they were not "clown shoes" any more. They were my "Gonzo Shoes". Even the kids started calling them Gonzo shoes. Did that make them any less weird? No. But their identity had changed.

I started reflecting on this fact and thought about renaming.

The world renames things in the pursuit of Political Correctness (another rant for another time) - but the Lord of All renames in the pursuit of VICTORY!

the world would name some as victims, God would renames us Victorious!

God would take us out from under our circumstances, out from under the weather and put us on top and call us "Over-comers". He would calls us the Head and not the tail. He would call us Above and not beneath.

God renames us because He sees us as we will be - not as we are currently.

What about circumstances?
I realized that circumstances can be renamed by one simple act - the act of praising.
Circumstances can be renamed by realizing that we might be going through a refining process, a sifting process or a molding process. And all we really need to do is say "God, whatever is in me that needs to come out - let it come out." With that realization comes a peace that we get to not struggle on the potter's wheel.

I don't think sickness falls into this category - as I believe sickness is not of God. But sickness can be renamed. Cancer can be called "Cursed at the root!" and sickness can be called "Covered in the blood of Christ!"

Of course, my kids are a major part of my day and my life. I love them. Can they be annoying? Yes. They can also be re-named - in my eyes and heart.
They can go from annoying to "arrows in the Lord's hands".
They can go from whiny - to conquerors in the Lord.
They can be taught of the Lord and great will be their composure and peace.

I'm looking around and I really want a spiritual label gun. I want to stick new labels on everything. I think, as I clean things up around the house, it's time to evaluate Old labels that have been on things. It's time to rethink their names.

If it can work for shoes -- there's not telling what a new name is going to do for the rest of the house.

14 comments:

TobyBo said...

Yep. God does a powerful lot of re-naming... Abram, Sarai, Saul... and we are told He has called us by names.

I agree with your point here. However, I do not think your shoes are actually tie-dyed. How would you twist rubber bands onto that plastic stuff?

Halfmoon Girl said...

I love the idea of a spiritual label gun!!! Great thoughts here. I love the Gonzo jibbitz! I would like you right away if I saw you wearing those in public. I would know you are a kindred spirit!

Vicki said...

Quirky = very kewl. Wow, now I need to go ponder all that you have given me to think about.

Vicki

P.S. Like the new look!

The Gang's Momma! said...

"Spiritual Label Gun!" Now I gotta get me one of those. How often I label things according to my needs, my wants, my frustrations, my agenda. ICK! And when hard times come, do I go first to the "Lord, work it out of me - that which displeases YOU." NO! And wait. don't I have one of those guns already? The Word? The Holy Spirit's tender voice? The counsel of godly brothers and sisters? Ummmm, yeah. I do.

Unfortunately, I label the hard time as a dry time, as a time when God is silent, as a time when the Enemy is attacking me. Giving away my spiritual power, disconnecting the label gun that HE'S already given me. Hmmmmph, now I have to go and think. Hmmmph.

This was a good one. Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

I do love your shoes BECAUSE they are quirky. That is exactly the reason I wear pink Converse!

I do love that God calls us by a new name, mainly His beloved. He is so good not only to transform our lives, but to give us new names to live by.

Debbie said...

Very nice how you brought out the re-naming point. And I am so glad that when God re=names us, He never again calls us by our previous name.......

Monkey Giggles said...

Love this idea too. Thank you for sharing.

Peculiar Blogs said...

This could be one of my all time favorite posts!!! I love it! And your new blog looks beautiful! :-)

Peculiar Blogs said...

oh, and another thing...I buy things for the quirk factor as well. (another thing in common) and I name everything around here. I like the renaming though. I rename myself from tired mommy to joyous woman!

Susan said...

I came to visit from Kahri's blog. Great post!!!! Much insight about watching our words and how we speak.
Susan

Tracy said...

Love the shoes. Mine are just navy...what does that say about me? Hmmmmm. (They matched my bathing suit.)

Good thoughts here. I have a few things I need to "re-name".

jugglingpaynes said...

LOL! I can understand wanting a spiritual label gun. That would be fun!
But don't be too hard on illness. I would not be the person I am if I had never had asthma. Think of it as "spiritual priority realignment". ;o)

BTW, Beaker fan here.

Peace and Laughter!

Unknown said...

Woo Hoo! Preach it sister!! Great object lesson.

And ... great shoes. I saw a friend with tennies on the other day that had butterflies all over them. And the shoes did not match. You know, they weren't like mirror images. Colorful and FUN FUN FUN.

She said she bought her 20-something artist daughter a pair with lady bugs that she just loved. I need to go shopping. I love quirky.

And back to the renaming. Think Abram to Abraham ... Jacob to Israel. I love that you said God renames for victory.

Such great thoughts. Thanks.

Vicki said...

Thanks for the nice comment and hug! Things are improving. My spouse isn't back to work yet as it's taking a long time to heal but he is regaining his strength every day.

I'm just so thankful that I still have him.