Monday, September 1, 2008

mom-sized pat on the back...

Maybe it's just me, but I think that Mom's need little affirmations. Things, instances, words, happenings, whatever the case may be, that tell us we're doing the right thing. I'm sure Dads must feel the same way.

Our kids are cute. We love them to pieces.

Then there are the days that it's good they are cute.

I think Homeschool moms & dads have extra pressure on us. The stress to make sure our kids are growing spiritually, characterally (I just made that word up) and educationally.

I claim two instances that happened yesterday as pats on the back for me.

We have been reading, at night, one chapter from AA Milne's "Winnie the Pooh." It's a dog-eared copy that I've had for years. I love this book. Especially the run-on-sentence in Chapter 9.

So we've been reading, as the kids are settled in bed, each night for the past few, well - at least 10 days. We did have to skip one day because everyone was so tired that sleep had to happen instantly.

I've been thrilled to hear laughter coming from the bunk beds. I'm even more thrilled by a 4 year old's desire for me to continue the story.

So on Sunday, I dusted off an old VHS of the Disney movie "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". The big kids hadn't seen it in FOREVER and they had completely forgotten about it.

While they watched, the just made me so proud by uttering comments like, "I remember that from the book!" or "That was in the book!"

I was dancing a victory dance in the kitchen.
They were so happy about the movie and the book that we had to watch it again right away.

Then that night, G-man made an observation while I changed Mini-E's diaper. You see, the kids have had some sort of stomach bug. G-man has had something for the past 10 days. We've prayed and cleaned, now we're waiting it out.

So after his observation, I asked him (seizing the teachable moment) "Why don't you come pray over her?"

"But I don't have my prayer language, yet."

I explained that he didn't need it. That all he had to do was put a hand on her and pray over her to be healed. So, like a teacher, I was giving him step-by-step instructions.

First you put your hand on her. I thought of her stomach - but he chose the forehead.

Then I was going to tell him sort of what to pray but he looked at me and said, "I got it." in that kind of "I-can-take-it-from-here" tone of voice.

SCORE!!
Happy dancing on the inside.
I am doing things right!

On top of that, he prayed good.

I loved it. In fact, I'm still loving it. Obviously, I'm blogging about it. But it made me so happy. Those moments that we get to steal away, those God-kisses that we get to let us know that we are doing good as parents.

Totally patting my self on the back for noticing and giving God the glory.

Is. 54:13 (Amp) My Children shall be taught by the Lord (and obedient to His will), and great will be their peace and undisturbed composure.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! It's is always good to get some sign that our eforts are paying off.

RYC: When I vent about my day on my blog and someone writes to me and tells me that I made them laugh, I feel the stress release. Laughter is good for my soul.

Kelli said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I love that you encouraged him to pray for his sister! We are working on that as a family: that our first response to someone's "owy" is to pray.

Growin' With It said...

here's a pat...and a hug from me! way to go girl!

Halfmoon Girl said...

Yay- what fabulous moments! How encouraging for you!

Poopsie said...

You deserve it!
A few pats from me too. :)

Dapoppins said...

I love to listen to my kids pray...or have them ask me to pray...and that is so cute about Whinnie the Pooh