Friday, February 1, 2008

Can clocks be passive/aggressive?

My mother-in-law gave me a clock for Christmas.
While - it is a lovely clock, with all sorts of sparkle-y things on it - it's just not me.


It plays music at the top of the hour.
It sings "Michelle" and "Hey, Jude" from the Beatles.
I do think those odd choices for a sparkle-y, shiny, sing-y clock.

But, hey, I'm not the designer. Which is good - I wouldn't have put those gold-ish disc on the side of the clock face... Nor would have put "Hey Jude" on the musical menu.


I'm beginning to think it's a passive/aggressive clock, though.
I'll be sitting in the recliner and it will play "Are you lonesome tonight?"
or
"You've lost that loving feeling"

It may have that song correct, though.
At least where it's concerned.

It will play "Here comes the sun" -- and the kids really like the fact that they can tell the top of the hour without looking. And during the day, I barely notice it's music while I'm working.

Sometimes, I think it's louder than necessary when I'm reading a book to the kids. Or when I'm rocking Mini-E. She says, "'ook! 'ook!"

But when I'm by myself - it sings at me those two songs..I've begun to wonder if it's passive/aggressive.

I think my brightest amusement came when I opened the wrapping to find a yellow slip of paper inside.

Instructions for mounting the clock on the wall.
I was to use the special wall-mounting device.

It looked a lot like this:

I love the technical terms they came up.
I guess a shine-y, spin-y, sing-y clock can't just have a drywall screw.
It needs a wall-mounting device.
Brat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother-in-law once gave us a singing bird clock for Christmas. It got broken in a move. Rats. ;o)

Halfmoon Girl said...

I don't do shiny or sparkly either, but you must admit, it is a QUIRKY clock, and we are both a little quirky, I think. I laughed at the passive aggressive songs- especially "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'". It would be cool to custom order one with all your favorite songs or with messages to your family that would ring out periodically like "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" or something along those lines.