Wednesday, March 24, 2010

One things leads to another around here...

I've been curious all of my life.
Growing up, I was constantly told - "Curiosity killed the cat".

I realize there is a fine line between curious and nosy. Don't get me wrong ... and often those two adjectives intersect. I've always been a people watcher, too. So they intersect often.

Having the kids ask me questions - sometimes constantly - I'm more than happy to feed their curiosity.
Most of the time. Sometimes, Kids are just kids and tend to have really bad timing. I don't want to talk about rat snakes during the dinner table.

Then I read this today....A blog I found out about through The Gang's Mom
In this blog post - he talks about the death of curiosity.
It's a short read - go check it out. I'll wait.


*hums to self*

Told you it was short. But it was powerful. At least to me.

So many times we can inadvertantly kill the curiosity of a child.
So many times - we can kill our own.
We get too busy. Too hectic.
I can speak for myself -- writing, laundry, kids, school, family, dog, laundry....it can all lead to dampen the curiosity.

After reading Pete Wilson's post I pondered it for a while.

Like anything else around here - A song came to mind...
It was written for her daughters - but really, it applies to us all.

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder ...


3 comments:

pete wilson said...

Hope the post was helpful. Thanks for the link!

Halfmoon Girl said...

I loved that post too. I know a couple who are fascinating to visit with- because they are always curious and learning about stuff. Sometimes I am too insecure and pretend to know what someone is talking about, when I should just really ask more questions and admit I don't know everything! Children learn best through play and manipulation of objects- where do we lose that?

Dapoppins said...

hummm.