Friday, August 5, 2011

If you don't want the answer -- don't ask the question...

Especially a kid. 

There are some things - if you don't want to know the answer to, you shouldn't ask a kid. 

"Does this look funny?" "How's my hair look?" "Where are my shoes?" "Do you know what happened?" 


Asking a question can be like taking ... well... it can be dangerous.


I asked anyway.


I asked - what would you like to learn about? Or learn how to do? We're on our way to becoming unschoolers... but I'm going slow and incrementally. Usually I'd dive off the deep end of things - but These are kids. I should practice first.


Mini-Me had an interesting list.
She went back and scratched some things off the list. 
She'd like to learn to be a life-guard. But she scratched that off. I'm going to remember it though. 
She wants to learn to scuba dive. 
She'd like to learn how to have a pet parrot. 
    ---- She's hoping I'll buy her a parrot. I bought her a book on how to have a pet parrot.
Violin and Piano are on the list.
She'd like to learn about Sharks and seals, too. 
Shipwrecks. 

I've books coming on shipwrecks. 
We'll study the ocean this year for her - and bonus - The Professor took her to the aquarium on Tuesday. 


G-man wants to learn to do things with his hands.
Carpentry.
Crochet
Guitar
Carving (NOT gonna happen this year) 
Making movies.
Comics.


J-man is still thinking...but he's spending LOTS of time on the 'create your own levels' on LittleBigPlanet. Each of his levels tells a story.  He'll be getting LBP2 for Christmas.


Mini-E (Bubbles) made me laugh and wince at the same time.
She wants to learn how to fold laundry. 
The girl is an artist and a dancer. I'll go with those and let her fold laundry on the side. 


So along with the core of our books....which includes math for all, phonics for 2, grammar for 1 - it's going to be an interesting year. 


Shipwrecks?? 
Told you - if you don't want to know the answer...Don't ask the question.
Nothing says 'I love you' like research.


Except maybe brownies.

3 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Heh. This totally gets my "homeschooler" juices running... She said shipwrecks? So cooooool. So much can be wrapped all into that.

History. Writing. Science. Story-telling. Archeology. (Can we say BONES!!!!). Social studies. Creative writing. Oceanography. Research skills. Research writing. Organizational skills. Oh my. And did I mention the writing opportunities?!!!!!

Mother Mayhem said...

Shipwrecks fascinate me. Cap'n Chaos and Sweetums? Not so much. LOL

jugglingpaynes said...

Oh! Oh! You reminded me. I made a list of some shipwreck books Marina helped me find on Monday (sorry, it's been one of those weeks, I completely forgot):
Sunken Treasures by Gail Gibbons
Mysteries of the Past: Shipwrecks by Jason Hook (which is an awesome name for someone writing about shipwrecks!)
Exploring the Titanic by Robert D. Ballard
The Titanic: Lost...and Found by Judy Donnelly
Ghost Liners by Rick Archbold

Marina suggests looking under Explorers in the library (910.4 in the Dewey Decimal System)

Peace and Laughter!