Friday, October 23, 2009

The Absent Professor

Our Laundry Pile Professor, the man that I love, the one who keeps me grounded while letting me soar, the Single man who would probably "get me" (other than Jesus) has been gone for a week.

I miss him.

He does handy stuff that I often forget to do.

Like put away the cheese.

Or bread.

He'll even do dishes and laundry.

He won't be home for another week.
He'll miss Mini-Me's 11th birthday. It was just the way it was going to happen. No way around it.
He's away for business ... and he's where he's needed.
So I'm not sad that he's gone.

I just miss him.

While he's gone, he's working nights and sleeping days. When we have the chance to chat, it's during Our evening - when he's getting ready for his day. The kids always, ALWAYS tell me to tel him "Good Night!!!" -- I've tried explaining to them that daddy is up for the day...but they don't get it.

So I just pass along the word. We both chuckle and move on.

Mini-Me was rather bummed that The Professor was going to miss out on her birthday, she wanted to save him a piece of cake. Week old cake is not the Professor's idea of fun.
In tears, she came to me and told me that she wanted to wait for the Professor to come home before celebrating her birthday. I chatted with him, and he encouraged her to go ahead and have her birthday on the 26th.

The 26th is actually the best day for my mom & Brother to come. If we wait - the y might not be able to make it.

After explaining the situation to her, Mini-me has opted to split her birthday in half. She's going to have cake on Monday and celebrate with my family. Then we'll have another birthday when the Professor gets home. :-) I was proud of her for such a grown up decision...and the willingness to wait for her gift. She knows what we're getting her (A Nintendo DS).

So we're counting the days down to our two big events: Her birthday and the return of the Professor. :-)

On a funny note:
J-man started flailing his arms into his big brother. Thud thud thud went the fists on the back - like a windmill.

I sputtered my words out, trying to ask two questions at once - "What are you.... Why are you... HITTING your brother??"

Calmly, the five year old replied, "He was askin' for it."

It was really hard not to laugh.
It didn't explain anything and calm or not, He still got in trouble.

Oh -- my NaNoWriMo post.
You guys made me laugh with your encouragement..
and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that peruses through the flair buttons. For Fun. You guys rock. I'll try to keep you posted about it, I'm actually excited for it to start. The story is aching to get out of my brain!!

5 comments:

Katidids said...

Ohhh a grown up decision! I can just see those little arms spinning..my middle daughter used to pin her older brother behind a door and punch him...only way she cold get even! And yes, it was hard not to laugh

jugglingpaynes said...

I think hitting is how some younger siblings tell their big brothers "I love you." At least, that's what I'm hoping. Sierra's a hitter. Doesn't matter that her brother is a foot and a half taller or that he has a black belt. She regularly tries to hit him. *sigh* Good thing he knows how to deflect her blows.

Here's hoping the days slip by quickly that you may see the Professor as soon as possible.

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Growin' With It said...

splitting up the bday means more time to celebrate, she is a wise one! i've been wondering where/what your hubby's been up to from your FB comments. poor girl. way to go being supersinglemom while he's gone.

Mother Mayhem said...

An extended celebration sounds AWESOME to me. I'll take any left over cake off your hands! :o)

Halfmoon Girl said...

Well, he's back now. I missed this post somehow. I know this feeling, though my hubby doesn't go away to fish anymore. There were times when we were first married that he was away for 5 weeks. That was a little much, but I did get to watch whatever I wanted on tv and to serve sandwiches for dinner. :) You made me laugh out loud with your comment on blog this morning. I hope you are not still on your couch feeling bad. Have a great day!